Yield: 6 burgers
For the burger patties:
2 pounds Ground Beef (80% lean, Choice grade or higher)
2 tbsp Southwest Spice (use your favorite)
½ tbsp Seasoning Salt
For the buns:
6 Hamburger Buns (a hearty burger bun is best)
3 tbsp Butter (unsalted and soft)
6 slices Pepper Jack Cheese
6 Eggs (fried over easy)
1 ½ cups Shredded Lettuce
1 Avocado (sliced)
½ cup Pico de Gallo (use your favorite)
- Place the beef, seasoning and salt into a large mixing bowl and work this together with your hands until it is well mixed together.
- Separate the beef into equal patties. Make sure you press them in hard so they compress and stay together on the grill. Then, use your thumb to make a deep indentation in the center of the burger to keep it from forming a “meatball” shape.
- Chill these patties, covered, in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before cooking.
- When the patties have chilled, remove them from the cooler at least 10 minutes before cooking to warm up the outside layer.
- Prepare the grill for 2-zone cooking*. Sear the outside of the burgers on the direct heat side and move them to the indirect side to cook them through. Cook the burgers to desired temperature.
- Once they are a minute away from being cooked the way you want, top each burger with the Pepper Jack Cheese and melt the cheese with the lid closed on the grill.
- When the burgers are finished, allow them to rest a minute or two in a warm place before serving. This will keep them from getting too messy. While the burgers rest, butter and toast the buns.
- Build the burgers with the rest of the ingredients and serve promptly. We suggest in this order. Bottom bun, shredded lettuce, burger patty with cheese, fried egg, avocado, pico de gallo, top bun. Enjoy with your favorite sides.
*Visit weber.com for more instruction on two-zone cooking with charcoal and gas grills.
© 2013 Weber Grill Restaurant, LLC. All rights reserved.